Are you looking for a way to make your holiday decorating easier and less of an eyesore? If so, then hiding outdoor Christmas light cords is the answer.
Decorating for the holiday season is a fun and exciting tradition, but one obstacle we all seem to face is how to hide pesky dangling cords! Hiding outdoor Christmas light cords can often be tricky because of their size and visibility.
Don’t worry, though, because there are plenty of creative solutions you can use to cleverly camouflage those wires while still enjoying beautiful outdoor lights during the chilly winter months.
Today, we will explore multiple ways you can easily and stylishly hide your light power cords so they won’t spoil your festive display (and maybe even become part of it!). Keep reading to learn more about how to hide outdoor Christmas light cords!
What Will You Need?
Before we get into the details of how to hide outdoor Christmas light cords, let’s quickly review what you’ll need. Here is a list of items that will make your Cord-hiding projects easier:
- Plastic cord covers (available at most hardware stores)
- Electrical tape
- Zip ties
- Nylon string or fishing line
- Large outdoor plants
- Outdoor furniture/accessories (such as benches and chairs)
- Stakes or poles to mount the lights on
- Weather-proof conduit, if needed.
Once you have all the items listed above, you’re ready to get started on your cord-hiding project. Now, let’s look at hiding outdoor christmas light cords!
10 Easy Steps on How to Hide Outdoor Christmas Light Cords
Step 1. Use Plastic Cord Covers:
Plastic cord covers are a great way to hide and protect your cords from the elements. Simply insert the cord inside the cover and secure it with electrical tape or zip ties. If your cords need to run along a wall, you can attach the cord covers directly to it.
Step 2. Add Plants and Bushes to Cover Cords:
If you’re looking for an organic solution, try using large outdoor plants such as bushes or trees to conceal cords. This is especially useful if several sets of lights go in multiple directions. Try to find plants that are full enough to block out the cords.
Step 3. Tie Strings Around the Cord:
Using nylon string or fishing line can effectively hide your outdoor Christmas light cords. It will also help keep them out of sight while still providing support for your displays. Ensure that the string is securely tied so it won’t come undone.
Step 4. Install Weather-proof Conduits:
If you have a large outdoor light display, consider installing weather-proof conduits as an effective way to hide your Christmas cords. These are easy to install and come in various shapes and sizes depending on the needs of your holiday decorating project. Be careful when installing them, though; they could become a tripping hazard if improperly secured.
Step 5. Utilize Outdoor Furniture or Accessories:
Another great way to hide cords is by using outdoor furniture or accessories such as benches, chairs, and tables. Place them strategically around your lights so that they cover up the power cords when viewed from all angles. If you have a large number of lights, this is an effective way to hide them quickly.
Step 6. Hang Plants from Above:
Hanging plants from above can be a great solution if you don’t want to place any greenery at ground level. If you decide to go this route, ensure that the plants you use suit outdoor conditions. Keep in mind that you may need to use additional support to keep the plants in place.
Step 7. Attach Cords to Poles or Stakes:
If your wires need to run along fences or walls, attach them to poles or stakes so they remain out of sight. This is especially useful if you’re using lights in a large area such as an outdoor patio or garden. Additionally, it helps keep the cords from becoming tangled or damaged.
Step 8. Hang String Lights Vertically:
Hanging string lights vertically is a great way to hide cords while still creating a festive atmosphere. This technique will also reduce the amount of tangled cords as well as provide additional coverage from wind and rain. Moreover, it’s a great way to get creative with your outdoor lighting setup.
Step 9. Place Decorative Planters Around Your Lights:
Placing decorative planters around your lights is an easy and stylish way to hide cords while also making your outdoor space look beautiful. You can buy decorative planters at most hardware stores or online. Make sure that the planters are made of a material that can withstand outdoor conditions, such as metal or plastic.
Step 10. Install Wall Mounts:
If you want to take your cord-hiding project one step further, try installing wall mounts to keep your cables out of sight. Installing wall mounts requires some basic electrical knowledge, and caution should be taken when doing so. However, if done correctly, this method can effectively conceal power cords and create a neat holiday display.
Hiding outdoor Christmas light cords doesn’t have to be a hassle. With these ten simple steps, you can easily conceal your cords and create a festive display that you’ll be proud of. So get creative and have fun while making the most out of your holiday decorating!
5 Additional Tips and Tricks
1. Use zip ties to secure and organize cords. You can use them to keep the cords from tangling or looping around obstacles, making your outdoor Christmas display look neat and organized.
2. Hide the cords behind potted plants or flowers. This will help keep them out of sight while still keeping your holiday decorations looking beautiful.
3. Bring additional power sources closer to where you need them with an extension cord. If you have a particularly long stretch of lights that needs powering, using an extension cord can help bring more power to the yard’s far end without a visible cord running across the lawn.
4. Utilize bushes and shrubs for extra coverage when hiding Christmas light cords outside your home. Bushes are great for concealing cords and other decorations while allowing your holiday décor to shine.
5. Consider installing a power outlet in an inconspicuous outdoor space area. This will make it easier to access electricity without having unsightly wires trailing across your yard or garden.
With these tips, you can easily hide outdoor Christmas light cords with ease! Your home will look amazing, and you’ll be the envy of everyone on your block. Have fun decking out your outdoor space for the holidays!
5 Things You Should Avoid
- Don’t run the lights along your roof. This safety hazard could lead to severe damage if not properly secured.
- Avoid using extension cords that are too thin or flimsy, as this could cause them to overheat and become a fire hazard.
- Do not tether cords tightly around trees or posts, as it can damage the wiring over time due to exposure to moisture and extreme temperatures.
- Don’t leave your lights up for too long; remove and store them at the end of each holiday season to prevent corrosion of the wires from inclement weather conditions.
- Avoid using nails or screws when securing outdoor decorations in order to avoid damaging any electrical cables under the surface of your home.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your outdoor Christmas display looks its best while keeping your family safe from potential harm. With some simple precautions and a little bit of effort, you’ll be able to hide outdoor Christmas light cords without any issue!
Is It Safe to Put Tape on a Cord?
No, it is not safe to put tape on a cord. Electrical cords should never be taped together, which can cause the wires to overheat and create a fire hazard. Additionally, wrapping electrical cords in tape can reduce their flexibility and make them more prone to breakage.
Instead, use clips or hooks to keep your lights organized and secure. This will help prevent potential danger while keeping your holiday display neat.
Following these simple tips, you can safely and easily hide outdoor Christmas light cords safely and easily! With careful planning and good preparation, you’ll be able to enjoy your holiday decorations while staying safe at the same time. Have fun decorating for the holidays!
How to hide outdoor Christmas light cords doesn’t have to be complicated. Whether you want to keep your outdoors neat or are looking for safety, using these few simple steps can help you get the job done in no time.
You can bring beauty and style to your holiday lighting displays From sprinkler bases, garden stakes, U-shaped posts, or even a homemade craft item to keep cords out of view. Don’t let tangled cords ruin the holiday cheer—start concealing them now and bring joy to your specific decorating project.
You’ll find that with a little creativity and the right material, you can easily maintain a beautiful outdoor lighting display without any visible cords this holiday season.